Our Combined Cadet Force (CCF) was initiated in 2006, by successfully forging a partnership with King Edward’s School (KES), Bath’s CCF who have been established since 1900 and so we are part of one of the oldest CCF’s in the country.
The partnership normally has an equal number of cadets with around 100 pupils at any one time; and it is proudly affiliated to the regiment King’s Royal Hussars and combines their unique ‘brown beret’ with our very own original cap badge.
What is the CCF?
The CCF is a youth organisation, sponsored by the Ministry of Defence (MOD), which operates in schools.
What is the purpose of the CCF?
At Beechen, the CCF is not just an extra-curricular activity, but a leadership and personal development programme with a clear pathway to promotion and taking on responsibilities.
What activities and training will my son do during CCF?
Starting in Year 9, the weekly syllabus is progressional throughout, allowing the cadets to move up the ranks and gain valuable life and leadership qualities. The military knowledge includes fieldcraft, camouflage and concealment, signals, map and compass, First Aid, drill, weapons training, survival skills and more as they progress through the years.
The activities undertaken help to develop skills which are then put into practice at regular camps throughout the year. These are in March, September, July and November. In addition, they will have the opportunity to undertake a military obstacle course, zip wiring, kayaking, doing a parachute jump etc.
What benefits and qualifications can my son gain by doing the CCF?
- Enable him to improve his confidence and make new friends.
- Develop powers of leadership
- Counts towards three sections of the DofE Silver & Gold Award. Namely, the Skill, Physical and Volunteering (if he takes the promotion course).
- It feeds superbly into Beechen’s Character Development Award
- Enhance his college, university or job applications
- All CCF trips and courses are heavily subsidised and so a fraction of the normal cost
- St John’s Ambulance Youth First Aid
- BTEC Level 2, IILM Awards Level 2 + Level 3 in Leadership and Management
- CCAT Courses (Caving, rock climbing, kayaking, skiing, ice climbing)
- Radio User qualification
Contacting us about joining and further information
To read the CCF Annual Report 2022-23 please click here
If you are interested in joining the CCF or would like further information please contact A. Davies on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to contact our officers at KES, then please liaise with our Contingent Commander, Major Ivor Gardiner or our School Staff Instructor Lt Philip Jones at KES.