Beechen Cliff School and Bath Rugby ACE Rugby Programme
Beechen Cliff School and Bath Rugby work in close partnership to develop promising young rugby players in the Bath Rugby catchment area. The RFU ACE (formerly AASE) programme aims to provide an outstanding rugby and academic development programme for talented players to achieve their potential both on and off the pitch.
Since the programme was started in 2014, twenty players from Beechen Cliff have been offered professional contracts with Bath Rugby. Many others have progressed
onto a high level of rugby at university whilst following their chosen career. As part of the programme, Beechen Cliff enters a Sixth Form team into the RFU’s
National ACE League, playing fixtures against the ACE Schools & Colleges of the other 12 Premiership Clubs. The ACE League therefore offers the highest available standard of schoolboy rugby.
With Bath Rugby’s support in areas such as coaching, strength and conditioning, match analysis, positional development and physiotherapy, the players have the best opportunity to achieve their full potential. Meanwhile, academic outcomes of those on the programme are outstanding and players are equally well-supported to achieve their academic goals.
The programme is targeted primarily at 16-year old rugby players from within Bath Rugby’s catchment of Somerset, Wiltshire and Dorset. Others come from further
afield in the UK. Some of the players, whose home is too far to commute on a daily basis, board in the school’s boarding house.
Players will benefit from the programme in a number of different ways:
• They are part of the same local school, so they learn, train and play together which encourages motivation and team spirit.
• They have access to a high quality academic ‘A’ Level programme in an exceptional school.
• Their rugby programme is managed and delivered by top quality coaching staff from both school and Bath Rugby.
• They will have access to top quality training and playing facilities, both at school and at Farleigh House.
• Players will follow individualised training programmes set by Bath Rugby Strength and Conditioning staff.
• Students will have a minimum of 12 rugby-related hours a week, two terms of rugby competition and a summer term of rugby development.
• They will have access to the best of off-field support from Bath Rugby Physiotherapy and Sports Therapy professionals.
• They will be exposed to a highly competitive environment in which to test themselves. The programme runs 1st XV, 2nd XV and 3rd XV squads
• The 1st XV play in the ACE League, the highest standard of school rugby available.
• The programme provides the best opportunity of progression towards the professional game and international age grade representative sides.
ACE Programme Role of Honour (2015-2020):
George Worboys (England U18s and Bath Rugby)
Fin Dewar (England 7s)
Diego Periel (Spain U18s, U20s, 7s)
Tom De Glanville (England U18s, U20s and Bath Rugby)
Gabriel Hamer-Webb (England U20s and Bath Rugby)
Orlando Bailey (England U18s and Bath Rugby)
Nahum Merigan (England U18s, U20s and Bath Rugby)
Will Hendy (England 7s)
Frankie Read (Bath Rugby)
Chris Moore (Ireland U18s)
Tom Jeanes (England U18s and Bath Rugby)
Ethan Staddon (England U18s and Bath Rugby)
Kieren Verden (England U18s and Bath Rugby)
John Stewart (England U18s and Bath Rugby)
Gabriel Goss (Bath Rugby)
Miles Reid (England U18s and Bath Rugby)
Wil Partington (England Students, Bath Rugby, London Irish))
Connor Beer (Ireland U18s, Spain U20s)
Oliver Cattell (Scotland U18s and Bath Rugby)
Jasper Spandler (England U18s)
For further information please contact Andy Hall, Director of Rugby: firstname.lastname@example.org